Sunday, August 28, 2011

Terra Firma.

Walking and talking to nothing. Words flowing through my mind and out my mouth but never into any ears. So instead I'll sit here and type my mindless thoughts of my mind onto this blank piece of white page.
Inspiration strikes us all differently. You see a piece of art and suddenly your eyes are wide open. You hear a piece of music that alters your mind and takes you on this epic journey through your own memories and experiences. Suddenly enlightened you are; almost as if it's an epiphany.
I just recently returned from my first vacation in over a year and though some might call it a vacation, I feel as if it were the best I've ever had. Not just the experiences I had, but the time in my life is what made it as great as it was. I got to sit down and have a drunken conversation with my cousin, who has secretly always been my favorite cousin. We talked about life. We talked about death. We talked about 'life after death.' We expressed our views on different meaningless things. I was introduced to new music that I probably wouldn't have enjoyed unless I was sober, but it really grew on me.
The most memorable thing of the entire three day conversation was how he expressed what I've had in my mind for a long time. I couldn't find a way to express it verbally, but he captured it perfectly. "Life is A to B, where A is birth and B is death. A and B are permanent and static. You can't control them or decide when they happen. But what happens in between, well that's entirely up to you. YOU control the dynamic or subtle ups and downs of the life." Really, those aren't his exact words but it's a really good summary of hours and hours of conversation.
This trip really changed my perception on life, which has always been changing subtly. But this, this was a dynamic change. The biggest crescendo in the past few years of my life. Everything else in my life got really quiet and my thoughts bubbled to the top of my mind. Everyone else's bullshit got put on the back burner, where it should have been. Life turned down, and I turned up.
Now looking at this once empty blank piece of white page, I seem to lose the focus in my eyes and see hundreds of letters thrown together to make words to express my mind which is a run on and on.

""No one wants to go into space anymore," he said. "It all started with the Walkman. The kids all slipped on headphones and retreated inward.""
--The Walkman Effect.
"[The music] literally colors the visual world. Furthermore, the outside world profoundly alters its character; it is perceived like a film ... The subject speaks of his feeling of being outside reality while at the same time being aware of living in this reality. When he adds that he gains a calmer attitude to time and space, he makes us understand the significance of his experience of simultaneous absence and presence. Absence does not mean that the world is no longer worth attention. On the contrary, the subject's disengagement sets him free to enjoy the world attentively as a colorful and rich spectacle. His being-in-the world shifts from that of the participant to that of the spectator." (Rainer Schönhammer)

That last line hit me especially hard when I first read it. Truly disengaging your own mind to explore that of your own personal universe rich with your own thoughts and visions; more simply stated as your imagination. Your experiences and your memories are nothing similar to that of another. You may be looking at the same thing, but you're not feeling the same ways about certain things no matter how alike you are. Your memories. That first word is all you need to pay attention to. It makes what is yours truly yours. No one can take it away from you, no matter how hard they try. They could attach a thought sucking device to your head and extract everything you know and remember, but when they're analyzing everything it won't mean jack shit to them. I mean, yeah, they can interpret how they want to, but it's personal. You interpret it in your own way just as they do in their own way. I'll move on from this rant, I was just trying to transition everything into my next link of thoughts.
Communication. Isolation. Relationship.
Sure they could work alone as their own subjects, but what's unique about all four of those, is they coincide together. You can study them separately or all together as one conglomerate of an idea.
Without communication you have a minor form of isolation. In order to have a relationship flourish, you need communication. And their is no such thing as a relationship with isolation. Isolation works alone by itself as itself. It truly is it's own entity. It's almost as if the definition of itself is itself. I'm sure there's a word for it, but I just can't seem to figure it out right now. Too many thoughts running through the electrical wirings of my brain. But, back to the point. They all work as one and separately.

I fear, after rereading the last paragraph, I'm starting to become a little distracted and scatterbrained. So I'll say one last thing and this will be the end of one of thousands of journeys through my mind to come and to have come.
I meant to write this all in the second week of August but I'm a lot more pleased to have let i build up into the final week of August before doing anything with it. I've learned a lot and discovered even more. I've just recently come across an artist who is also a skateboarder and I plan on getting one of his pieces tattooed very soon. I'm not going to show you which one, because that will ruin the surprise, but this is currently the background on my computer.

1 comment:

Jared Trottier said...

I fear isolation and death. I fear not existing, of having no thoughts. for me to not be here thinking is my greatest fear. I also find it weird how human you are... or how like me you are. reading this made me fall apart. The thing you wrote about memories, well, just mentioning memories made me think about myself 9 years ago. There is such a huge difference between me and you though that 9 years ago for me was a really really shitty time. I was nowhere.. well I wanted to be nowhere. I wanted to not exist. between trying to kill myself and wanting to run away from every little thing that happened to me growing up, I was with you. The things I remember the most are the days I spent with you. Then I left for about 6 months, came back, and I was in a relationship trying to get my life back. and there you were again being apart of my life. it is hard to appreciate things in the moment, and I wish I could have then. but hey, at least it all happened and we can remember it.